Saturday, January 24, 2009

New Skate (and future BMX) Park Opens in Oakley


With all the talk of doom and gloom regarding our economy and continued assaults on our access to public lands, I wanted to share just a bit of good news. The City of Oakley California officially opened its new Creekside Park today.

I remember back when I was a kid and we called skateboarding by its original name – Sidewalk Surfing. And yes, I did “bust my buns” more than just a few times skating along Campton Road in Cutten, (a rural suburb of Eureka) California.

The new park in Oakley includes a much needed skateboard area, future BMX track, BBQ sites, and other amenities. I talked with one of the City’s police officers at the gas station several days ago and he thought Oakley was being proactive and forward thinking by providing kids a safe and legal place to recreate. I agree.

I know a number of cities in west Contra Costa County have been asked to put in similar skate parks, but many of them refuse to provide this type of recreation outlet for their youth. I guess they would rather have them buzz people at the shopping mall. Sad when civic leaders have no vision. Kudos to Cindy Coelho (Sr. Rec. Leader for Oakley) and the City of Oakley for this new park! Also, helmets off to Raley’s for providing refreshments for the grand opening.

I hope you don’t mind me sharing this small slice of optimism in these difficult times. And, I hope it reminds more than a few of you about the “good old days” when we were kids. Those times look pretty good from my perspective.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment